Looking for New Windows in Your Davenport, IA Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When shopping for windows for your remodeling or new construction project, you naturally want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you evaluate your options, think about these facts:
- Windows can affect the interior and exterior appearance of your Davenport area home.
- The windows you pick can make a positive difference in your home’s energy bills.
- The material and durability of your windows can have a healthy impact on the long-term value of your Davenport area residence if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to review the style and function options available, you will be pleased with your purchase and love the pleasure of gazing through your new windows for years to come.
What questions should you think about when purchasing replacement windows for your Davenport home?
- What do they look like? Consider the fact that your family and guests are going to view your replacement windows most often from the inside of your home, not the outside. Picture things in your mind from inside and study the view carefully; does the style, color and type of opening (crank shaft or sliding) work with your home’s décor? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? How does the sunlight appear during the morning and afternoon? And don’t neglect to stand outside from multiple viewing positions to properly judge if the style of replacement window you are considering fits with the fascia of your Davenport home.
- How energy efficient are the windows? Learn the facts relating to your windows that relate to their energy efficiency. Topics to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values identify the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify efficiency ratings before you purchase a window to help reduce heating and cooling expenses and receive the most value for your investment.
- Will your new windows operate as you expect them to? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to test operating a window before you settle on one. Can you open or shut the window easily? Will the window be easy to clean? Can the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window coverings undisturbed? If the window will be a means of exit in case of fire, be certain it opens easily and offers an adequately-sized opening.
- What is the installation process? Installation of your windows is either blended with the overall purchase price or calls for an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How will you maintain your windows? The weather in the Davenport area changes often. The appearance of your windows can be impacted negatively by wind, sun, rain and snow. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles .
- What choices do you have for color or hardware? The color you select can reflect your style and increases the overall appeal of your Davenport home. Some window producers offer few exterior color to pick from. Determine what color schemes are in place for the windows you want. In addition, there are plenty of option to coordinate window hardware with other hardware options in your home, such as cabinetry hardware, faucets and other fixtures.
- How much will you pay? The old saying “you get what you pay for” is especially true when it comes to purchasing quality windows. The cheapest windows may not be your best buy. Windows are an investment in your property. The type of window you select should be based more on performance than on price.
We invite you to visit Pella at the Davenport area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 563-202-8576.