How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a stage every Davenport winter when you can’t seem to find the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and chilly, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Davenport home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and breaks in uncommon areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with workable abilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to confirm that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Check the installation by verifying if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Davenport to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Davenport a call at 563-202-8576 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.