Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Davenport, IA?
Ready or not, the colder weather is hitting Davenport and there is still time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors helps ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from leaking in when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help add an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this increase your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you could be paying more than necessary to heat your home. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient options.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Davenport at 563-202-8576.